2.11.2010

A banner, box, and card for today

The winter Olympics are starting in just a day! Anyone else watching? I like the figure skating best. I find it incredibly beautiful and quite relaxing to view. I know that sounds rather odd but it truly is a calming sport. It takes such patience and determination to master the jumps, lifts, etc. To watching the skaters on ice is astonishing. I do not skate (ice or roller) very well anymore, but I can remember the sensation of being in the rink and skating backwards, twirling around, and jumping small items. Alas, those days are over for me. I don't even know if I could make a lap without falling these days. LOL! I guess I should try but the public embarrassment would be worse than the fall I think.
I made this "Skate" pennant for my dear friend Pam in Washington. We are sharing our favorite Olympic event with one another. I can't wait to see what hers is. She has warned me it's not what I expect. Hmmm. I keep thinking bobsledding? I guess I will have to wait and see.


I used the ice skate template from What's the Scoop?

Melissa's card example had me oohing and aahing when I saw it. She used a piece of Pink Paislee polka dot paper and the Martha Stewart loop punch for the threading closure. It's brilliant! I copied her loop border idea when I was making mine. A big thanks to Melissa for this! I love this ice skate template. You can get it too by clicking on the link above. It will take you to the examples by Melissa and the image you can save to your computer make your own ice skate.

I cut the skates out and covered with pattern papers. Then I used Stickles to make blades shiny. I punched loop borders from various paper and paper pieced them to the edges ( this was rather tedious I admit) and then I hand stitched floss through each loop to resemble a true skate laced with a bowl. I added Making Memories white stickers and outlined with dots and lines . I cut a piece of white grosgrain ribbon and strung the skates through. That's it! I shared a photo of each skate below.





I repurposed this Philosophy box to hold the banner:





I made the crepe ruffle to dress the box up a little and then added the sparkling green ribbon to really make it colorful. I don't think it is legible in the photo, but the box top reads: Memories were made. I thought she could use the box to hold little treasures and what-nots. Since we are still getting pummeled by snow, I thought the banner and box could be used throughout the winter even if it is a tad Christmas.

Supplies: cardstock: Recollections white; pattern paper: M&MBI "Noel"; crepe paper: craft supply; ribbon: Michael's green and white; floss: DMC;glitter: Stickles Frosted Lace; stickers: Making Memories white; other: tools: Martha Stewart Loopy border punch; template for skate: What's the Scoop

And finally my card for CardPatterns sketch #50:


I used two different types of fabric on this card which was the challenge for the CARDS blog this week. Also dug out some of my beloved Melissa Frances chipboard and did a little inking with my Distressed Old Paper ink pad. I had misplaced it for quite some time and I found it recently much to my delight! I don't think I took a very good photo of this because it seems to be more vivid IRL. Hmm. I will have to try again.


Supplies: cardstock: Recollections white, Creatively-Green celery, The Paper Co. kraft; pattern paper: Making Memories "Vintage Finds";fabric swatch: Amy Butler, baby blue: craft supply; ink: Ranger Distress Old Paper; buttons: Making Memories green, light pink craft supply; sticker: Making Memories tiny alphabet; ticket for "love" Creative Cafe; floss: DMC; flower: CKU light pink silk

Today the Creatively-Green Valentine's Blog Hop begins! Hop on over to see inspiring challenges, play games, and win lots of prizes!
Did you see the grand prize? Here's a peek!



Pop over to the blog and sign up to become a follower. Also, check out the forum which has numerous eco-friendly ideas for recycling, reusing, and repurposing items to make anything from cards and layouts to altered items. Creatively Green is also a manufacturer, with exclusive products including Clay embellishments, vintage kits, handmade flowers, and 100% recycled cardstock . Hope to see you there!

13 comments:

Anonymous

Thanks for your comment! Exciting you're doing the swap! Those skates are so darling- I wish I was more crafty! xoe

Melisa Waldorf

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I LOVE your banner! So cute and not too Christmasy at all!

Tracey

Wonderful projects!! Fantastic take on the Card Patterns sketch...thanks for playing :)

Heather Rogers

Very cute! Love those skates. I use to speed skate....my son had a party at the local roller skating rink and I decied to give it a whirl. I thought I did awesome..just like old times, I was out of shape, but still did good...until I fell because 2 boys cut in front of me. haha! Just thought I would share. :D

Cindy Lee

Oh my word!! Love your project, Amy!!! I love the paper that you used! The matched really well!

Stacie (craft-princess)

Great projects!!

jeanna

Awesome creations Amy... I love everything!

Elise

Oh, goodness! I'm DIZZY from all the talk of spinning and jumping.... swirling... backwards... WAIT! No, that's NOT the reason... it's because your work is MAGNIFICENT! What a FUN, fun, ridiculously fun, pop-some corn and pull up a chair and a warm blanket and WATCH THE OLYMPICS together fun! But save some energy for CRAFTING.... because you're FUN! This is super! What a cool way to celebrate sports and CRAFTING {at the same time! Plus, I think of paper crafting as a sport, to begin with!}

Whew! {Now, I'm really tired!} You are wonderful, Amy! This is some super work and I'm especially LOVING your CP card! Holy Moly! YOU on FIRE, GIRRRRRL! Wahooo!

Ali

GREAT job on your beautiful projects. Awesome!

Stevie

Oh my goodness I LOVE those ice skates!!! They are perfect for this "blizzard"!

Anonymous

Wonderful creations!!

She's a Color Queen

OMGoodness I LOVE your ice skate banner. How clever!!!! You are so talented!!

Kay

A*M*A*Z*I*N*G !! Wow, that is a wonderful banner!!!!! Excellent, excellent idea!!! ♥♥ Kay

Post a Comment

Thank you for choosing to leave me a message. It is greatly appreciated! ♥ Amy