11.18.2010

Oh little Thanksgiving birdy!

Hey and happy Thursday to you!  I am relying on blogger's post options to help me schedule this today.  I don't know why I have not used it more often?  Hmmm.  I guess I am old fashioned that way.  ;-)

Today I want to share a home decor item that you can make in a matter of minutes that's perfect for Thanksgiving.  I love birds year round.  Okay, maybe not real ones in my house because I am a bit of a neat freak but I love the sight of them.  Have I ever shared my bird story?  Oh it was horrible!  One night quite a bit ago, I was laying in bed and I heard this terrible thud and what sounded like nails on a blackboard.  It scared the dickens out of me.  I went to investigate where it came from and could see no visible damage that evening.  The next day, I walked around my house and again spied nothing.  We left to go on vacation the following day and I completely forgot about the noise.  10 days go by and we return refreshed, slightly tan, and lots of dirty laundry.  I separate all the laundry and head to the laundry room to get a load started.  One load washes and I throw it in the dryer and start another load.  I hear the dryer buzzer go off so I open the door and this foul stench almost knocks me down.  I gasped for air and shut the door quickly.  I called my husband and said, "we have a problem!"  To which he replied, "Call a repairman in."  I was a wreck to say the least.  I knew then what had happened.  I was so adamant about getting the problem resolved right there and then, that I pulled the dryer free and removed the dryer vent work.  Out fell a black crow!  I screamed and ran from the room.  I waited an hour before gathering enough nerve  to go collect it up and dispose of it.  Then I ran out to Lowe's to grab new duct vent for the dryer.  Ughh!  I hope he/she didn't suffer.  I can still hear the sound from that night it occurred.  Hence my apprehension to birds in my house.  I like to see them out in nature enjoying life.  Not the way I experienced it. 
Long post later, I am sharing my bird cage dressed up and ready to greet visitors to  my home in my entryway.  I don't have many Thanksgiving decorative items  I found this orange birdcage at Michael's and thought it was too cute to pass up. 
I used a tag with a SRM sticker and rhinestones.  The flowers are Prima, Martha Stewart seam binding, and tulle. 
I added some moss and a orange bird with leaves and a pine cone. 
Another side view.
I added pearl rhinestones around my birdcage to give a little flair. 


 The challenges for my project are:
Die Cuts R Us: #65 Alter It
Hodge Podge: Anything Goes
Paper Issues: Thanksgiving
Penny's: Alter It
TSTR: #36 "What are you thankful for" based off this picture:

Thank you for stopping by!

23 comments:

Saskia

So sweet!!!!!!

Saskia :)

Ros

Yep, well I should have skipped the bird story ... feeling a bit sick now ... but your little bird cage decor is so "tweet" ... I love it ... looks really good ...

Stella

Oh my your bird story; I would be just as scared as you...

I wish we had a Micheal's here in Holland....that cage is so so lovely. I love how you dressed it up; the colors are warm and are matching perfect with each other. That little birdie is a cutie :)
Fabulous project Amy; as always!

Annika

Oh the bird story freaked me out big time!! We once had a bird in a sitting room, flew in through the chimney...talk about the panic :( It survived though, thankfully.
Your bird cage looks so wonderful!
Hugs
Annika

Michele's Treasures, Teacups, and Tumbling Rose Cottage

Love the sweet bird and cage! ; )
~Michele

cnelson

so fabulous!! just lovely!

Linda

Wow this is so gorgeous. Thanks for joining us at the Hodge Podge Shop.
hugs Linda

Cassie

I think it is absolutely fantastic!!! I also have "real" bird issues. I like them if they are fake. Thank you so much for sharing it with us at Paper Issues...and for making me want some cupcakes.
=)

Lulu

Very sweet project!! :)

Gina Lindsay

I love your bird cage, but I think if your bird story had happened to me, I would still be afraid of birds--real or not!

Kirsty Vittetoe

Wow, this is beautiful, Amy! Perfect thanksgiving decor, very sweet!
Almost 100% of my post are pre-schedule, I just love when I can prepare in advance.

Elena

I am sorry to hear that this bird story happened to you. I would of scary too.
Your project is so beautiful! :)
Thank you so much for stopping at my blog and leaving a comment! :)

Gwen's Busy Little Hands

Such a pretty piece to add to your decor this season. Actually it is so pretty you may want to leave it up all the time.

Smiles!
Gwen DTC@ACLP

Unknown

That is so great! What a cute decoration. That is a horrible bird story too! yuck. Thanks for joining us at Hodge Podge Shop. Shelley :)

Nicole

Great creation - so clever! Thanks for playing along with us at TSTR! :)

Debbie

What a cute project ... and yes -- birdies are much better in sweet cages than in your dryer vents! I'm so PROUD of you, Amy, that you tackled that vent and disposal of that poor little bird on your own! Bravo!! TFS with us in the Tea Room this week :)

Darlene

How sweet is this creation! Thanks for joining us at Penny's Paper-Crafty Challenge and good luck with the DT app! Hope to see you again real soon!

Clare

so gorgeous!! thanks for playing along at the Shabby Tea Room!

Sandy Ang

Wow - this is just gorgeous !

~*Joni

Oh what a sad story. :( It wasn't your fault at all, but I can imagine how you felt!! Bless its heart, I am sure he didn't suffer at all. I love this birdcage, I have been looking at it every time I go to Michaels! And yes, for the price I don't know why I didn't just pick a few up since orange is my favorite color. What you created with it is amazing, I love the sentiment tag and embellishments - just perfect! Thank you so much for joining in on our challenge at ACLP this week! ♥
~*Joni ACLP DT

Courtney

Beautiful project! Thanks for playing along with us at Penny's!!

Courtney~

Courtney

Amy...
Thank you for entering our DT Call at Penny's. I would like to offer you a spot on our team. If you are interested please email me at kallee(dot)ko(dot)bowtique(at)gmail(dot)com and I will get you all setup!!

Congrats!!
Courtney~

Jessica L

What a horrible story! But, on the bright side...your birdcage is gorgeous! I can't believe you made it in only a few minutes! Thanks for sharing your talent with us this week at The Hodge Podge Shop! Hope you join us again soon. BTW, I have candy on my blog if you're interested!

Post a Comment

Thank you for choosing to leave me a message. It is greatly appreciated! ♥ Amy